Location & Climate
Hotel ALKIONIS is located in Moraitica, one of Corfu’s oldest and most picturesque villages. At the 2 km long beachside, you can enjoy a clean and blue shallow sea, which is ideal for families with children. Moraitica has also a very active nightlife with numerous restaurants, taverns and also bars and dance clubs.
Right next to Moraitica there is the old fishing village of Messoghi; with the river of the same name as a natural border. Beautiful fish tavernas and relaxing walks at seaside complete the picture. In the inland you can visit the Serbian Cemetery – a Monument of Serbian troops from the First World War – and just above it the medieval fortress of Gardiki.
The tour continues to the unsurpassed beauty of Lake Korission and its unique cedar forest with a rich flora and fauna, where you can walk in the sand dunes of fine golden sand. There you can enjoy a majestic sunset or swim in the sandy waters of the western coast of the region at the beaches of Prasoudi, Chalikounas, Paramonas, Aghios Georgios, Issos and Marathias.
Another attraction are the traditional villages Clomos, Aghios Dimitrios and Aghios Matthaios perched high in the mountains, with old beautiful churches, chapels, monasteries and hiking paths for walkers and mountain bikers, which together constitute a peerless holiday location.
A few kilometers further to the North after the old fishing village of Benitses, the road leads to the village of Gastouri, where the famous Achillion is built – the palace of Empress Sissi of Austria – with its wonderful sculptures, paintings and gardens of unique beauty. Achilleion is one of Corfu’s biggest sightseeings and always worth the visit.
The location of Corfu in the northern Ionian Sea and the typical moisty-warm climate contribute to the popularity and uniqueness of the island. Due to its location, clear days and sunshine are almost guaranteed during the summer months.
Temperatures and Climate
- Average air temperature in summertime: 28o C
- Average water temperature in summertime: 26o C
- Warmest months: July and August
- Coldest months: January and February
- Wettest months: November to February
- 250 meters away from the beach of Moraitica
- 18 km from Corfu town and the airport
- 19 km from Corfu Casino in Kanoni
- 10 km from the port of Lefkimmi
- 10 km from Achilleion
How to reach Hotel ALKIONIS
- From Corfu town (or the airport/port) drive south on the Corfu- Lefkimmi street towards Lefkimmi and after 18 km you will enter Moraitica. Hotel ALKIONIS is waiting for you in the center of the village on the left hand side.
- From the port of Lefkimmi drive towards Corfu town and after 17km you will reach Moraitica. Drive further to the center of the village and you will see hotel ALKIONIS on the right hand side.
Cost of travel by taxi from Kerkira or Lefkimmi is about € 35,00.
From the central bus station (green buses) near the port of Corfu you can take all buses to Messonghi, Kavos, Ag.Georgios and Issos. The bus stop is placed right in front of the Hotel in the center of Moraitica.
Journey 45 minutes – Bus tickets cost € 2,70.
Attention: Hotel ALKIONIS accepts no responsibility for the prices indicated above, since they may be subject to change without further notice.